If you are experiencing difficulty paying your electric bill, the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified homeowners and renters. EAP primary heat grants range from $200 to $1,600 depending on family size, income and energy costs. In addition to primary heat grants, crisis-benefit grants are also available. For the second year in a row, the Minnesota Department of Commerce has increased the maximum annual crisis-benefit grants for qualifying households from $600 to $1,200.
Despite the large infusion of dollars into the EAP program, applications for primary heat benefits are down by about 10 percent, and applications for crisis benefits are down by about 30 percent. The EAP application deadline is May 31, 2021, but may possibly be extended until July 1, 2021
To learn more about the EAP program or to apply for assistance:
- Visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce Energy Assistance website, https://mn.gov/commerce/consumers/consumer-assistance/energy-assistance/, for more details and to access the application portal.
- Contact your county EAP service provider at the number below for additional information and assistance.
- Becker, Hubbard and Wadena Counties – Mahube-Otwa Community Action Partnership 1-888-458-1385
- Cass County – Bi County Community Action Program 1-800-332-7135
- Clearwater County – Clearwater County Dept. Human Services 1-800-245-6064
- White Earth – White Earth Energy Assistance 1-866-885-7656
If you are having difficulty paying your electric bill and do not qualify for either of these programs, please contact Itasca-Mantrap at 218-732-3377 to set up a payment plan.