We know that COVID-19 has created additional financial hardships, placing an even larger burden on families already struggling to pay their bills or bring their accounts current. If you are experiencing difficulty paying your electric bill, the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified homeowners and renters.
The Minnesota Department of Commerce has expanded EAP by raising income eligibility and extending the deadline to apply to Sept. 1, 2021. Households with incomes at or below 60% of the state’s median income may be eligible, which is about $65,000 in annual income for a household of four.
To learn more about the EAP program or to apply for assistance:
- Visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce Energy Assistance website, https://mn.gov/commerce/consumers/consumer-assistance/energy-assistance/, for more details and to access the application portal.
- Contact your county EAP service provider at the number below for additional information and assistance.
- Becker, Hubbard and Wadena Counties – Mahube-Otwa Community Action Partnership 1-888-458-1385
- Cass County – Bi County Community Action Program 1-800-332-7135
- Clearwater County – Clearwater County Dept. Human Services 1-800-245-6064
- White Earth – White Earth Energy Assistance 1-866-885-7656
If you are having difficulty paying your electric bill and do not qualify for this program, please contact Itasca-Mantrap at 218-732-3377 to set up a payment plan.